James Fava Wood Jane Easton Isabella Wood Laurence Wood Margaret Wood Julia Fava Wood James Wood Frederick Wood Mary Fava Wood Ann Wood Alfred Wood Mini tree diagram

Vincent Fava Wood

1858 - 1945

Life History

20th Jan 1858

Born in Edinburgh, Scotland

2 Apr 1885

Married Ellen Sharland

Notes

From IGI

VINCENT TAVA WOOD ('Fava' mis-transcribed)
Birth: 20 JAN 1858 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Parents:
Father: JAMES WOOD
Mother: JANE EASTON

Vincent's Marriage

VincentFavaWoodMarriage.jpg

In the 1891 Census, at 321, Milkwood Road, Lambeth

Vincent Fava WoodHead33Surgical Appliance (Inst.) Makerb. Edinburgh, Scotland
Ellen WoodWife27b. London, Middlesex
Alec Vincent WoodSon4b. Peckham, London S.E.
Norman Sharland WoodSon2b. Herne Hill, London S.E.
Laura LingServ.21Domesticb. Newmarket.

In 1883, 11th February, Vincent Fava Wood of Herne Hill becomes a certificated member of the Mount Edgecumbe Lodge.

In the 1901 Census, at 72, Herne Hill, Lambeth

Vincent Fava WoodHead43Surgical Appliance (Inst.) Maker, Employerb. Edinburgh, Scotland
Ellen WoodWife37b. London, NK
Alec WoodSon14b. London, Herne Hill
Norman WoodSon12b. London, Herne Hill
Gladys WoodDaur.9b. London, Herne Hill
Winifred WoodDaur.7b. London, Herne Hill
Marjory WoodDaur.5b. London, Herne Hill
Jack WoodSon3b. London, Herne Hill
Isabella DrewryNiece20Living on Own Meansb. London, Clapton
Alice CrippsServ.25Cook Domesticb. NK Chiverton
Lucy SmallServ.24Housemaid Domesticb. Devonshire NK.

In the 1911 Census, at 69, Alleyn Park, Dulwich, S. E.

Vincent F WoodHead53Surgical Appliance Manufsb. Scotland Edinburgh Resident
Ellen WoodWife47Married 26 yearsb. London, Bow
Alec V WoodSon24Surgical Appliance Manb. London, Peckham
Norman S WoodSon22Surgical Appliance Manb. London, Herne Hill
Gladys WoodDaur.19b. London, Herne Hill
Winifred WoodDaur.17b. London, Herne Hill
Marjorie WoodDaur.15Schoolb. London, Herne Hill
Constance Turner27Hospital Nurse, Single b. Sussex, Nutley
Jane Howard36Hospital Nurse, Single b. Tenberden, Kent
Grace Cupitt23Domestic Cook Servant, Singleb. London, Dulwich
Ethel Mccullock24Domestic Cook Servant, Singleb. London, Camberwell

Vincent_Wood_1911_Census.jpg

In the 1921 Census

at 69, Alleyn Park, Dulwich, S. E.

Vincent F WoodHead63 yrs 6 m.MarriedSurgical Appliances - Employer
91/93 Newington Causeway, S.E.1
b. Scotland Edinburgh
Ellen WoodWife57 yrs 6 m.Married b. London, Bow
Gladys WoodDaughter29 yrs 11 m.Singleb. London, Herne Hill
Winifred WoodDaughter28 yrs 1mthSingleb. London, Herne Hill
Jack WoodSon23 yrs 11 m.SingleSurgical Appliances - Employerb. London, Herne Hill
Alora PatesServant23 yrs 11 m.SingleGeneral Domestic Servantb. Stroud
Mary SmithServant17 yrs 3 m.SingleGeneral Domestic Servantb. Holy Cross, Worcestershire

An English Surgical Appliance House with a World-wide Reputation

Vincent Wood of Victoria House, 4, Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge, London, S.E. [In Graces Guide]

Manufacturer of Surgical Appliances. Established in 1837 by James Wood (deceased); the firm being James Wood & Co.

1914 - Present Principal: Vincent Wood, son of the founder. Believed to be the largest manufacturer of Surgical Appliances in the Kingdom.
Staff:. Nearly 100. Also extensive Freehold Factory at Carlton, Nottingham, where the business is conducted under the style of Thomas Glover and Son

VincentWood1885.jpg
'Vincent Wood', New York, 1886

Vincent_Wood_1889_sm.jpg
'Homes of Industry', April, 1889

1889. "Medicated Gloves.Mr Vincent Wood, of Paternoster Square, E.C. has added another set of useful articles to his pine-felt goods. These are a mitten for writers' cramp, and gloves for those who suffer from rheumatism and similar affections. Both are well made, and are suitable for wearing by day and night.." [The Chemist and Druggist, March 30, 1889.]

1889. "Homes of industry. Through the courtesy of Mr. Vincent Wood we had the pleasure of going through this vast establishment for the manufacture of all kinds of surgical appliances ... the place where some of the best appliances are made, nos. 29, 30, and 31 Paternoster Square, and 11 and 13 Rose Street, Newgate Street ... Mr Wood has a rule in his business that all special orders by the morning's post should be dispatched by the evening's post ... in this one room six machines are constantly at work and about fourteen young ladies are employed constantly making up special orders. ... " [The India rubber and Gutta-Percha and Electrical Trades Journal, April 8, 1889 - full article lower right]

1889. "Trade Notes.Mr Vincent Wood, manufacturer of pine wool felt appliances, has opened a branch at 31 Rue Dussoube, Paris, which is under the management of Mr F.H. Snow." [The Chemist and Druggist, July 20, 1889.]

1890. "Mr Vincent Wood is removing his manufactory to Saint Andrews house, three Saint Andrews Street, Holborn Circus, etc. But will retain his premises at 29, Paternoster Square as showrooms." [The Chemist and Druggist, May 24, 1890.] - Note that the 1883, 1884 and 1885 Electoral Registers have property for Vincent's brother-in-law, Charles, at 29 Paternoster Square.

1890. "Mr Vincent Wood of Paternoster Square, E.C. has recently registered a new pattern of belt for ladies, which he calls the "accommodato-corset belt ". This is an excellent arrangement, which will be appreciated by the wearers. In the front as shown by the .. illustration, there is a corset fastening, the back being provided with the usual lace adjustment, so that once the belt has been adjusted it may be put off and on with the minimum of trouble. There is also a sensible supporting-belt attached.
Mr Wood's second invention is a galvano-electric belt, made in shapes for ladies and gentlemen; the gentlemen's shape we show. The belts are made of flannel inside with cotton outside, and to the former are affixed small discs of copper and zinc, which, by contact with the skin, produce a gentle electric current. At the same time the eyelet holes provide an efficient means of ventilation. Whatever may be said of electric-belts generally, it is evident that the principal which Mr Wood has adopted in this case is sound; and if he were to add a slender wire connection between the discs, it would be perfect. He is to apply his invention to chest protectors and other articles of that nature." [The Chemist and Druggist, July 26, 1890.]

1892. "Mr Vincent Wood, of 3 St Andrew Street, Holborn Circus, has added to his factory of surgical appliances are special workshop for the manufacture of all kinds of medical batteries, under the management of a gentleman experienced in medical electricity. ." [The Chemist and Druggist, March 19, 1892.]

1894. "Trade notes. Mr Vincent Wood seems resolved to do the surgical appliance trade with the utmost thoroughness. Some three months ago he bought the whole of the stock, plant and goodwill of the firm of Thomas Glover & Son, Russell Street, Steam Mills, Nottingham. In these works all elastic goods are manufactured from the earliest stage of covering the rubber threads to the finished hosiery, stockings, knee-caps or whatever is required. All sorts of bandages etc., are also made in this factory. Mr Wood is now busy getting into working order a factory at Herne Hill, where truss-springs and all other steelwork will be manufactured. At his central warehouse in Saint Andrew's Street, belts, bath-gloves, chest-protectors, and many other sundries are made. These enterprises must give Mr Wood plenty of occupation. ". [The Chemist and Druggist, Jan 27, 1894.]

1894. "Trade notes. Mr Vincent Wood maker of surgical history &c of 3 St Andrews Street W.C., has gone into the manufacture of bicycles at his engineering works at Herne Hill". [The Chemist and Druggist, 1894.]

1896. "Cycle Manufacturers. Herne Hill Cycle Works (Vincent Wood, proprietor), Railway arch, Milkwood Road, Herne Hill SE." [London Suburban, Kelly's Directory Southern,1896]

1898. " Rubber-free Elastic Bandages. The eureka new crib Wilco bandage, which is formed of a rudderless elastic material, seems to be an excellent compressing agent, and if in constant use it be found durable is likely to suppose to supersede to some extent many of the heavier and more cumbersome forms of elastic bandaging. It is light and porous and can be readily washed. The tension it is stated can be varied but it is likely to be most beneficial and to afford most comfort in cases in which a high degree of compression is not needed. It is intended for cases - varicose veins, swollen joints, yielding of abdominal wall, for instance - in which elastic bandaging is usually indicated, but we would extend still further its range of application and be disposed to recommended it as a retentive bandage for surgical dressings. It is supplied by Vincent Wood, Victoria House, Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge ." [The British Medical Journal, Sept. 3, 1898, p.365]

1900. "When buying any surgical appliance care should be taken to see that it bears the name of Vincent Wood, as this is a guarantee of the highest quality. Mr Vincent Wood's appliances are principally made from materials manufactured in his own mills and factories, thus ensuring their excellence, and everything is critically examined before leaving. At his London depot, Victoria House, Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge, S.E., he has nearly a hundred skilled hands to rapidly execute special orders for dispatch same day, such as truss, belt, or elastic stockings – the only house where a surgical appliance is completely made under one roof. There are fitting rooms here for Mr Wood's customers' convenience, or he will send fitters if desired. Write for his price list. " [Gentlewoman, 21 July, 1900.]

1900. "Displaying Surgical Goods. Mr. Vincent Wood .. seems to know what retailers require to make surgical goods sell. His latest notion is to card a series of articles which are generally kept in boxes away out of sight of customers. .. the 'Imperial' belt card .. is a grey-tinted card, 15 inches long , by 10 inches deep, with lettering in Indian red. In the right-hand top corner is a space upon which the retailer marks the price of the belt.
The 'Imperial' is a lady's belt, made of dove web, it is 6 inches deep in front, and has good elastic insertions at the side and two straps. Another one of similar nature, but made of moleskin, with three buckles and straps and 7 inches deep in front, is called the 'Empire' belt. Still another shape, made for giving the maximum of support, is called the 'Ladies' Improved.' It is made of sateen jean with elastic sides, and fulcrum bands which are broad in the front, thus giving the maximum of support. All these belts are fitted with whalebone supports, and each is supplied with a showcard similar in style to the one described.
Gentlemen's belts are also supplied. One called the 'Zepyrine' is made of cellular 'aertex' cloth and has two buckles in front. This seems suitable for colonial and summer wear.
The 'Belief' belt is made of red felt, and is intended for wearing as a preventive of cholera or dysentery.
The 'Tourist' belt is also for gentlemen; it is made of jean, 4 inches wide, with two pockets for holding money or other valuables. This is likely to be a very profitable extra to chemists. We may also notice a series of wrist-straps made of white or khaki coloured kid, with or without elastic insertions. These are now much used by cyclists, and the trade at present is chiefly in the hands of chemists.
The 'Eureka' cellular suspensory bandage ... is a very comfortable truss, the only spring being one depending from the pad ... A belt goes underneath the scrotum, and on adjustment to the spring gives an adequate measure of support." [The Chemist and Druggist, 28 April, 1900.]

1901. "Another stand was that of Vincent Wood, 4 Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge. A large assortment of surgical bandages, belts, braces ,etc. were shown here. The Albion Bandage is one of the specialities here. This bandage is made of special fabric, woven with rubber thread interwoven in a special manner. These bandages are more perfectly ventilated than ordinary perforated rubber, and are made with a special woven edge which ...." [The India rubber and Gutta-Percha and Electrical Trades Journal, 1901]

1902. "Abdominal Belts we have received an assortment of surgical appliances made by Mr Vincent Wood, including several types of abdominal or supporting belts, all of which are well and strongly made, and apply pressure in the proper axis. The same maker also sends examples of the cuirass and electric brace, intended to prevent ill habits of stooping; they are capable of being made as comfortable to wear as any such appliances can be, and of exerting a proper corrective force. The material used in the manufacture of these articles is of a high quality, the style and finish is all that could be desired, and the price is moderate." [ the British Medical Journal, May, 31, 1902, p.1343]

1905. " the factory at Carlton , which was opened by Mr. Vincent Wood in the early part of 1903 , is completely finished , and is fully equipped with all the newest machinery for the manufacture of Thomas Glover & Son bandages , trusses , belts ... " [Pharmaceutical Journal , vol.20, p.461, 1905. google books · ‎Snippet view]

1906. "An English Surgical Appliance House with a World-wide Reputation – the attention of our readers is called to the advertisement on page xiv of this issue of the Journal, of Vincent Wood, Blackfriars Bridge, London SE. A moment's perusal of the firm's catalogue proves the extensive business done by them, especially in umbilical belts crêpe velpeau bandages, lung protectors, bath gloves, hot water bottles and covers, catheters, bougies, uterine supporters, trusses, orthopedic goods, abdominal belts, … " [Canadian Journal of Medicine and Surgery, 1906]

1908. " Mr. Vincent Wood has received official intimation from the Franco-British Exhibition that he has been awarded by the ... all classes of elastic hosiery and materials from his works at Carlton , Nottingham ( Thos . Glover and Son )" [The British and Colonial Druggis, 1908. Vol. 54 p.495 -google books ‎Snippet view ]

1912. "Mr Vincent Wood, Victoria House, Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge S.E., writes to point out that the note in last week's journal referring to his hot water bottle covers should have made it clear that the price (10s. 6d) was for one dozen covers and not bottles."

1915. "Surgical-appliances Catalogue. In the Chancery Division, London, on April 30, Mr. Justice Younger had before him the action of Mr. Vincent Fava Wood, maker of surgical appliances, Blackfriars, against Mr. E. Howard, Mr. W. Sutcliffe, and Mr. R. H. Heward, partners in the R. H. Heward Co., Crown Road. Works, East Twickenham, on a motion for an injunction until the trial restraining the defendants from printing, publishing, issuing, or distributing any trade price-list, catalogue, or circular containing any print or illustration of surgical appliances copied from plaintiff's catalogue, or which was a colourable imitation thereof. The allegations were denied by the defendants, and, _ there being a great conflict of evidence, his Lordship said it was impossible to decide the dispute on the motion, and ordered the matter to stand over until the trial of the action, which in the present state of the work in the Law Courts will come on for hearing shortly. ." [The Chemist and Druggist, May 8, 1915]

1916. "Copyright In Trade Price-lists. - Mr. Vincent Fava Wood, carrying on business at 91 and 93 Newington Causeway, London S.E. as a surgical appliance maker was the plaintiff .. that the defendant company, instead of having their own illustrations for their catalogue, copied those of the plaintiff. Plaintiff had been in business since 1884." [Chemist and Druggist: Vol. 88, 1916; a snippet in google books]

1919. "Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership theretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, Vincent Fava Wood, William Brettle Keywood and Alec Vincent Wood, carrying on business as Elastic Hosiery Manufacturers, at Carlton, Nottingham, under the style or firm of 'Thos. Glover & Sons' has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the 30th day of June, 1919. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Brettle Keywood and Gordon Jack Sharland Wood, who will carry on the said business. Dated this 3rd day of September, 1919. Vincent Fava Wood. Alec Vincent Wood. William B Keywood. G.J.S. Wood." [The London Gazette, 24 October, 1919]

1935."Personalities. Mr Vincent Wood (Vincent Wood surgical sundries manufacturers, London, S.E. 1) who has been seriously ill since January, is now slightly better and he and Mrs Wood are looking forward to celebrating on April 2 the golden jubilee … " [Snippet from Google books]

Thos. Glover & Son's Surgical Hosiery Manufactory   [From the Canadian Druggist, 1903] Read more

"The firm of Thos. Glover and Son, manufacturers of surgical hosiery, Carlton, England, has been established nearlv 70 years, and was in 1893 purchased by Mr. Vincent Wood, of London.

"The following year Mr. Wood arranged with Mr. Brettle, who at that time was the proprietor of a flourishing business in Carlton, to amalgamate the two concerns. It was not long ere the new firm purchased the respective businesses of the Surgical Hosierv Co., of Nottingham, and Mr. Thos. Huckerby, of Carlton, which were likewise merged in the firm of Thos. Glover and Son. Up to recently, however, the firm had to labor under the disadvantage of the various processes in the course of manufacture being carried on at different places, and a determination was arrived at to put an end to this state of affairs, with its consequent inconveniences, by erecting a large factorv, where all the different departments could be worked under one roof. A freehold site in Chesterfield street, Carlton, was obtained, and early in 1902 building operations were commenced, and the factorv is now completed."

"The building which is of imposing appearance, comprises three floors, with engine-house, is built of red brick and has been designed in a manner which not only affords the greatest facilities for carrying on the various departments of work, but also shows extreme consideration for the comfort of the employees. On the ground floor are the 'rubber-mills', where the elastic threads are covered with cotton or silk. Here, in a short time will be erected another rubber mill, now being specially made to the firm's instructions, and which, it is said, will be the finest machine of its kind in existence. Level with this room is the engine-house, containing a new 10 horse-power gas engine, whilst on the ground floor are also the necessary commercial offices. On the first floor is a large installation of Singer's sewing machines, all driven by power, and here also is Mr. Brettle's private office. On the second floor are the frames whereon the cotton or silk-covered elastic is woven into webbing and here again the visitor cannot fail to be struck with the evident care bestowed to make the workmen as comfortable as possible."

"The new factory is undoubtedly one of the best designed and most complete of its kind, and it may be noted that it is the intention of the firm to add other buildings on the still vacant portion of the land which they have purchased, wherein to deal with several important patents which they now have in hand."

From the University of Nottingham Manuscripts and Special Collections

"Thomas Glover and Son, elastic web and fabric manufacturer, appears in the Post Office Directory for Nottinghamshire for 1855. The firm's address was Greave's factory, Station Street, Nottingham (it also used premises in Parkinson Street, Nottingham around this time). It remained there until about 1889, when perhaps following the death of Thomas Glover, it moved to Cooper's Factory, Roden Street, Nottingham. By 1894, the firm was at Russell Street Mills, Russell Street and in 1897 the trade directories record a separate address as Herne Hill, London. The company had disappeared from directories by 1900, returning in 1925 described as a surgical hosier in Woodborough and Chesterfield Street, Carlton, both in Nottinghamshire. The firm remained at the Carlton address until the 1970s."

Herne Hill Cuttings (1895-1896) Show

Vincent_Wood_cycling.jpg Herne_Hill_1895.jpg HerneHill_1895.jpg

Advertisements

VincentWood1873_sm.jpg VincentWood_1889b.jpg VincentWood_1889b.jpg Vincent_Wood_10_10_1891_in_Cycling.jpg VincentWood_1892a.jpg VincentWood_1892.jpg VincentWood_1892_2.jpg VincentWood_1892.jpg VincentWood_CnD_Aug23_1893_sm.jpg Vinwood_cycle.jpg Vincent_Wood_June_1895_sm VinceWood_Ad_1897.jpg Vincent_Wood_1911_June_sm.jpg. VincentWood1916.jpg.

Patents

Probate

Violet Maude - Probate

GRO

Marriage: Jun 1885, Wood, Vincent Fava, Hackney, 1b 749
Death: Dec 1945, Wood, Vincent F, 87, Camberwell, 1d, 490

Ellen Sharland

In the 1871 Census, at Avenue Rd, St Mary Stratford, Bow:

John SharlandHead39Confectionerb. Devon
Frances Sarah SharlandWife34 b. Devon
Frances Sarah SharlandDaughter11Scholarb. Devon
Frances SharlandDaughter9Scholarb. Devon
Ellen SharlandDaughter6Scholarb. Devon

The above 1871 census is strange: there are 2 daughters called Frances; all the family members are shown as having been born in Devon.

In the 1881 Census, at 10, Glaskin Rd, Hackney:

John SharlandHeadM49Confectionerb. Tiverton, Devon
Frances S SharlandWifeM44b. Stepney, Middlesex
Frances S SharlandDaughterS21b. Mile End, Middlesex
Mary SharlandDaughterS19Pupil Teacherb. Mile End, Middlesex
Ellen SharlandDaughterS17 Apprentice to Surgical Appliance Makerb. Mile End, Middlesex

In 1881 an 'M A Sharland', female, aged 10, is a visitor in the home of Frederick Knight. Frederick Knight was later to be chief engineer at Shelvoke & Drewry. However it looks like Mary A Sharland, b. 1870, in Lambeth is from another family - parents John and Mary.

In the 1891 Census, Ellen's mother is living alone at 10, Chatham Place, Hackney:

Frances S SharlandWifeMarried52b. Stepney, Middlesex