Samuel Drewry Ann Alder Nathaniel Robert Drewry Maria Ann Drewry William Tillotson Drewry Henry Runciman Drewry Louisa Ann Manley Drewry Thomas Allen Drewry Charles Stewart Mini tree diagram

Samuel Drewry

19th Sep 1793 - 1831

Life History

19th Sep 1793


5th Nov 1793

Christened in St Marylebone London.

19 Jul 1831

Died in Croydon


Sam Drewry's Baptism entry IGI birth for Samuel Drewry: 19 Sept 1793 .
Father - Samuel Drewry
Mother - Ann

In "A list of the flag officers and other commissioned officers..":
Samuel Drewry, lieutenant, 24 Jan. 1816

In 1819 Samuel Drewry is listed as a lieutenant on HMS Vengeur [74-gun Royal Navy ship] in The Edinburgh monthly magazine / Blackwood's magazine (See 'Other Notes' below.)

In the Lincolnshire County Council Cultural Collections Website there are notes on the Marriage Settlement of his sister, Louisa Ann that describe him as "Samuel Drewry, Lieutenant on board HMS Ramillies". (19 Feb 1824)
In 1825 HMS Ramillies was patrolling the coast of England and dealing with smugglers. (See Smugglers Britain)

A Letter from His Father

Sam Drewry - Letter Outside On the 5th July 1815, Samuel senior wrote to Samuel junior who was at that time stationed in Barbados. He mentions the
"late glorious Battle on the Frontiers of France" (Waterloo)
and the probability that:
"the Navy will be again dismantled, & the greater part of the officers placed on Half Pay"
possibly affecting Samuel junior.

Scans of the Letter
Transcript of the Letter

Sam Drewry's death is reported Samuel Drewry's death is reported in 'The gentleman's magazine, and historical chronicle'

There is also in 'Sailing Navies' under 'Officers - Great Britain (Royal Navy)':
"Samuel Drewry died in Croydon on 19 Jul 1831. He served in the Royal Navy."
The death in 1831 would explain why Samuel is not mentioned in his brother William's will.

Other Notes

From The Project Gutenberg e-Book of The Surrender of Napoleon

"Up to this point the materials for [Captain] Maitland's biography are somewhat scanty. After this his journal, preserved at Lindores, gives us a very full record of his services."

"In October 1818 he was appointed to the Vengeur, 74. She had been intended to bear the flag of Rear-Admiral Otway on the Leith station. In June 1819, however, she was ordered to join the squadron destined for South America under the command of Sir Thomas Hardy - Nelson's Hardy. The squadron left Spithead on September 9, having on board Mr Thornton, H.B.M.'s minister to Brazil."

"The following year was spent on the South American coast. ..."

"The Peninsular War had made Portugal almost a British dependency. Lord Beresford remained in command of the Portuguese army after the peace. ... On August 13, Beresford sailed from Rio for Lisbon in Maitland's ship, the Vengeur. ..."

"Maitland had expected to return to England, but at Lisbon he received orders to proceed immediately to the Mediterranean on secret service. On October 27 he reached the Bay of Naples, where he found a British squadron of five ships under Sir Graham Moore. ..."

"It was a curious coincidence that Maitland should within a few years have had two sovereigns as passengers,—one the central figure of modern European history [Napoleon Bonaparte surrendered to him aboard HMS Bellerophon in 1815], the other the good-natured elderly buffoon who in this country is chiefly remembered as the husband of the friend of Lady Hamilton [King Ferdinand of Naples]. Maitland thus records the voyage: -

"Naples Bay, Wednesday, Dec. 13, 1820. - A good deal of rain during the night; in the morning the wind to the east. A general order came on board for the captains to attend the admiral in their barges, for the purpose of attending the King of Naples [Ferdinand I] off to the Vengeur, dressed in full uniform, with boots and pantaloons; a note, likewise, from the admiral telling me he intended to get the squadron under way and see the King out of the bay, the Révolutionnaire forming astern of the Vengeur, and he, with the five ships in line of battle, taking a position on our weather quarter; and when he takes his leave each ship is to pass under our stern, and there and then salute. The yards are to be manned and the ships to salute, beginning when the Vengeur fires her second gun. It is the intention of the French squadron to weigh also and stand out. At three P.M. the King of Naples came on board in Sir Graham Moore's barge, attended by the admiral and all the captains of the squadron except myself (as I stayed on board to receive him), and all the captains of the French squadron. He was saluted and cheered by all the ships except the Neapolitan, one of which manned her rigging, but no salute was given. As soon as the King was on board, unmoored, as did Révolutionnaire and Duchesse de Berri. Employed beating out. At about ten P.M. the Révolutionnaire was on our weather-bow when a thick heavy squall came on which blew the main top-sail away. When the squall cleared away a little, I saw the Révolutionnaire close to us on our lee-bow, off the wind and stemming for us, and so near it was impossible the ships could clear each other. It therefore became necessary to adopt the measure which would soften the first blow as much as possible, and I ordered the helm to be put down. When the ship came head to wind she struck the Révolutionnaire just before the mainmast, slewed our cut-water right across, carried away the jib-boom, spritsail yard, &c., and then backed clear of her. A lad fell overboard from the Révolutionnaire and made a great noise, which enabled us to send a boat and pick him up, he having got upon one of our life-buoys. Got the runners up and the messenger through the hawse-holes, and set them up with the top tackles, which enabled us soon to make sail. Saw the Duchesse de Berri working out."

"Dec. 14. - Strong breeze to the westward, with sea getting up. Saw Révolutionnaire to leeward. On examination, found the cut-water so much shook I determined to run on to Baia and secure the bowsprit; made signal to prepare to anchor, and bore up little after 8 A.M. Anchored in fifteen fathom water. The Révolutionnaire was examined also, when I found her mainmast was sprung; sent the master and carpenter to survey the damage she had sustained, two or three of her timbers being broke. They reported she might be put in a state to proceed in two days. Sent Lieutenant Drewry up to the Admiral with a letter giving an account of our disaster, and informing him I should proceed as soon as the weather would admit of it, taking Révolutionnaire with me if she was ready, otherwise directing him to follow."

"Leghorn Roads, Wednesday, Dec. 20. - Employed all night beating into Leghorn Roads....
he gave me from his Majesty a remarkably handsome gold snuff-box with his portrait on it, - a very good likeness, set with twenty-four diamonds, some of them large, particularly four at the corners. He gave me also two other boxes, one for Captain Pellew and the other for the captain of the Fleur de Lis, and informed me he meant to give 3000 ducats to the Vengeur's ship's company and 1500 to each of the frigates. Dined with the King, and came off in the evening."

"The Vengeur returned to England in the spring of 1820 [? Surely this must be the spring of 1821], and Maitland was appointed to the Genoa"