Alfred F. Vere Drewry Mary Catherine Vose Yvonne Drewry Ada Anniss Mini tree diagram

Antony Anniss Drewry

At Uncle Jim's house

23rd Feb 1916 - 14th Dec 1992

Life History

23rd Feb 1916

Born in Acton, London.


Merchant Taylor's School, Crosby.



7th Jun 1941

Married Mary Catherine Vose in Manchester.

14th Dec 1992

Died in Birmingham.


Between 1926 and 1932, Tony attended the Merchant Taylors School in Crosby, near Manchester. [School Certificate]

The picture of Tony on the left was taken at his uncle Jim's house in Letchworth in 1932. It appears in the album on the same page as a similar picture of his cousin Bill Knight.

In 1933, Tony joined Dunlop Rubber Company, in the Footwear Division at Walton, as an office boy. [Career Record]

diary diary In 1936, Tony's summer holiday was walking with a group probably from Dunlops. youth hostelling in Germany. [YHA Membership Card]

In 1938, he passed the Final exam of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries of Joint Stock Comapanies. [Certificate]

In 1946, Tony became an Associate of this Institute. [Certificate]

By 1939, he was an accountant in Dunlop's Brook Street Works in Manchester.

When the Second World War started most of Tony's school contemporaries enlisted as officers. Tony was refused on health grounds - a back injury in his youth, sustained when he fell between a train and a station platform - that troubled him all his life.
Within a year 27 of 30 or so classmates were dead.

Tony eventually enlisted as a private in 1940.
With his private school background, Tony should really have been an officer. When he arrived at the barracks on his first day he was a toff, young and naive. He handed his expensive clothes and suitcase to one of the orderlies asking him to take care of it, as he might have done in a hotel, and never saw the items again.

Tony was the only one in his platoon with a watch. During training, on one of the first nights they asked him to wake them in time for the early call. Somehow he misreasd the watch in the night and managed to wake them all at three in the morning instead of six.

In his Dunlop's record, Tony describes his war service as: R.V.L.I., R.A., R.E.; Private, Gunner, Sapper, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Warrant Officer - Everything bar latrine orderly.
His war service was in Sri Lanka, where some of the time he was in charge of an anti-aircraft detachment (which only saw one enemy aircraft during the war). He eventually found himself in charge of around 200 local women, maintaining the airfield's runway. (In Dunlop's he later found himself in charge of a similar number of women in the accounts department.)

After the war Tony returned to Dunlops accounts as auditor and manager. He was sent to India during Partition (1947), to assist in restructuring Dunlops in Pakistan and India.

Three years later he was sent with his family to Dunlops in South Africa (1950-54). [Career record, South Africa]. In Durban the family lived at 631, Essenwood Road.
When he retired he was Sales Manager at Fort Dunlop in Birmingham.


Tony  1 yr Tony and Yvonne Tony Tony and Yvonne Tony Tony and his mother Tony and his father Tony Tony Tony Tony Tony_Mary_courting_sm Tony_June_41_sm Tony_greatcoat_sm Tony_Ceylon_1_sm Tony_c_1945_sm Tony_Ceylon_1945_sm Tony_Ceylon_1945_sm Tony March 1947 Tony and his boys Tony and Bill Tony and Jon Leaving Africa Tony and his boys Tony Tony Tony Tony diary diary